Frequent causes of water damage include roof breaches, burst pipes, damaged water heaters and even overflowing sinks and tubs. It can lead to mold growth and threaten the structural integrity of your home. Local water damage repairs in Erie County are often immense in their scope, but you can reduce the time and expense of addressing them if you detect water damage early. Here are five sure signs of water damage to act on immediately:
- Discoloration: Most homeowners notice water damage when there are stains on ceilings and walls. These spots usually are copper, yellow or brown, or there may be discolored growths as well. If left unaddressed, the stains expand, and eventually the wall or ceiling may burst. Since this is an early sign of water damage, you are less likely to face catastrophic consequences if you call a water damage remediation service as soon as you see stains.
- Surface irregularities: Besides stains, you may also notice your walls and ceilings bulge. They may develop one big “bubble” or several smaller ones. Also, you may see cracking, peeling and sagging. These signs indicate that your wall or ceiling may burst at any time. Address them quickly before you face additional damage to your home.
- Odors: Your basement may have a persistent “moldy” smell because of the pipes and appliances stored there. If this odor moves to other spots in your home, especially traditionally dry places like living rooms, then you likely have a water damage problem along with mold growth. Odors may accompany discolored growth. Since mold causes respiratory discomfort, you may need to discuss this situation with a water damage repair company that also handles mold remediation.
- Missing shingles or broken gutters: If a storm dislodges roof shingles or gutters, you’ll likely face water damage. Even if you do not think water entered your attic after a storm, check for missing shingles, and if that is the case, arrange an attic inspection. You can avoid significant water damage if you catch it early and repair all roof and gutter damage as you find it. Otherwise, you risk lingering water that leads to worse impacts later.
- Previous incidents: If you recently experienced a burst pipe, failed washing machine or a hot water tank breach, you likely did not come out of the experience unscathed. Water from pipes and appliances can seep into your floor and hide there until you discover a soft spot or a ceiling stain on the story beneath it. At that point, it’s too late, and you likely need to invest in water damage remediation. However, if you assume there is damage after these incidents and arrange for drying services, you may avoid the most severe impacts.
Ahold of Mold Environmental offers local water damage repairs in Erie County. Our services include 24-hour water removal and restoration drying services. We respond within one to two hours to keep your problem from becoming worse. Call us immediately if you notice any of these signs in your home.
Categorised in: Water Damage Restoration