Despite what you may think, knowing your home has water damage isn’t as easy as it may seem. Obviously, walking downstairs and discovering ankle-deep water is an easy way to know there’s an issue, but the signs of water damage aren’t always that apparent.
The good news, though, is that knowing you need a team to help water damage restoration isn’t a guessing game. Continue reading to learn a few of the signs that your home has some water damage:
- Dark spots: Discolored ceilings, interior walls or exterior walls usually indicate that there’s a leak lurking. If the leak is bad enough, these darker spots may even be damp to the touch. Don’t just ignore these stains—they’ll get worse as time goes on.
- Cracking or bubbling: Severe water damage may impact the paint on your ceilings or walls. The paint may start to bubble up or crack as the water damage behind the wall gets worse and worse.
- Pooling water: An easy way to tell if you have a leak is if you notice a puddle of water on the floor. We recommend putting a bucket on the ground to protect the floor and then calling a professional to fix the leak and repair any damage right away.
- Running water sounds: You can also spot water damage by using your ears. The sound of rushing or dripping water behind the walls means something’s seriously amiss. Call a pro for water damage restoration right away instead of ignoring the sound.
- Higher water bills: A sudden spike in your water bill is another good sign that you have a hidden leak. Calling a pro to repair the leak and remedy any water damage can save you a bundle on your monthly water bill.
- Mold growth: Mold thrives in damp environments. If you spot any mold growth on your walls or ceiling, there’s undoubtedly a leak right behind the drywall. At Ahold of Mold Environmental, we can remove that mold and fix any water damage.
- Musty smell: You might smell mold growth before you see it. A musty or damp odor is usually associated with mold growth and subsequent water damage. Don’t just spray an air freshener to eliminate the smell—call a pro to fix the water damage for good!
- Roof damage: Missing or cracked shingles on your roof are bad enough on their own, but any roof issues can also lead to leaks and water damage. Get an annual roof inspection to ensure your roof is up to par and mitigate the risk of water damage.
What should I do if I find water damage?
You should never try to fix water damage by yourself. On top of not having the right equipment, you don’t have the skill set required to remedy the issue once and for all. Instead, call our team at Ahold of Mold Environmental for water damage restoration.
With over 25 years of experience and fair and competitive pricing for all of our services, we’re the area’s trusted water damage treatment team.
Categorised in: Water Damage Restoration